Published OnDecember 12, 20185 Reasons Why Information Governance and Cybersecurity Go Hand in Hand It’s a logical partnership. Those who know and manage the data working closely…
It’s a logical partnership. Those who know and manage the data working closely with those who strive to protect it – information governance and IT functioning in tandem. While that concept is appealing in theory, and prominent in some companies, it’s harder to find in practice than you might think.
However, it’s vital to foster the partnership between IG and cybersecurity. Here are five reasons why:
1. Big BIG data
- Data continues to grow exponentially and it’s impossible to protect it all on an equal level. IG knows what information an organization has and can identify what’s important and what’s not. This enables prioritization, which cybersecurity needs in order to put the highest protections on the most crucial assets.
2. Location, location, location
- In addition to knowing what data an organization has, IG will also know where the data is stored. Cybersecurity covers so many capabilities (data loss prevention, vulnerability management, network security and much more). Relying on IG experts to understand where the data is will make it easier to asses risk and eliminate threats.
3. The One in the Middle
- IG by its very nature is cross-functional. It’s also a centralized entity within an organization. Creating multidisciplinary partnerships within IG is a natural evolution to managing information well throughout its lifecycle.
4. Do It Right Once
- Assessing risk, prioritizing critical information, eliminating redundant, obsolete and trivial (ROT) content, evaluating threats, advocating training and awareness – so much of what IG does aligns closely with cybersecurity processes. A deeper collaboration between these two functions would save time and eliminate needless redundancies.
5. Work together, not in silos
- Data can at once be a vital asset and massive vulnerability. If IG and cybersecurity work in silos both groups can easily adjust to a myopic perspective. Developing a true partnership between these two functions ensures that an organization’s data is managed and protected throughout its lifecycle. This enables valuable business insights and keeps costs low.