History & Security
Iron Mountain was originally founded to provide unmatched security and safety for our clients’ archives, and it remains the bedrock of all of our services. With a rich history of safeguarding materials for clients from the U.S. Government to the world’s largest media companies, Iron Mountain continues to lead the industry in security practices as the archive business moves into the digital age.
Our Approach to Security
Iron Mountain is committed to an all-encompassing approach to security. From ingestion and cataloging to subsequent preservation and distribution, Iron Mountain has a step-by-step process to ensure complete security. Every security program is customized to each client’s particular needs for access. With Iron Mountain, the security of your archive is governed by strict, proprietary protocols and shaped to the needs of your business.
Chain of Custody
Every one of our facilities is governed by strict, industry-leading chain-of-custody procedures. Every item archived by Iron Mountain is given a unique identifier by which its location is tracked at all times. Whenever an item is retrieved, accessed, or distributed, this information goes into the permanent unique record for that item. Iron Mountain personnel and visitors must scan to enter and exit any room within all Iron Mountain facilities. The end result of these procedures is total security for your archive at all times.
- Complete visibility and control over your assets’ location at all times.
- Only you and Iron Mountain know the location of your assets.
- 100% controlled access to all facilities. No one may enter or exit Iron Mountain facilities without scanning an identity badges – includes entrances and exits, vaults, elevators, hallways, and stairwells.
- Complete oversight on asset retrieval. No one may retrieve or move an asset without prior identity verification.
We offer the highest standard in archive facilities that include the following features and capabilities:
- Choice of above- or below-ground facilities, climate-controlled to your specific requirements.
- State-of-the-art fire suppression technology.
- Choice of geographic locations for very low risk of natural disaster.
- Fully screened personnel and real-time wireless scanning infrastructure for 100% security.
- Facilities meet U.S. Department of Justice Level 4 security standards.