WHY DIGITISE YOUR MAILROOM MANAGEMENT PROCESSES
In today’s digital age, organisations are constantly seeking ways to optimise business processes and reduce reliance on paper-based information. However, managing large volumes of inbound paper-based mail continues to be a core part of many operational processes. With the rise of hybrid work in the Philippines, traditional paper-based information poses a challenge for a distributed workforce that needs secure, timely access to mail regardless of location.
Traditional mailroom management relies on manual systems and processes that are labour intensive and prone to human error, compromising information security, compliance requirements, and work efficiency. As organisations consider downsizing and/or optimising real estate space, they need to streamline operations and connect data across business silos. This is where Iron Mountain digital mailroom services come in.
ENHANCE PRODUCTIVITY WITH DIGITAL MAILROOM SOLUTIONS
Iron Mountain Digital Mailroom solution is a software as a service (SaaS) offering that enables you to enhance operational efficiency by digitising physical mail and processing email automatically to provide secure access and retrieval for your employees, automating document-centric processes, and connecting your data across platforms.
Key business impacts of outsourcing to a digital mailroom include:
- Convert your mail from physical to digital with auditable chain of custody
- Provide access to and receipt of mail in a secure repository anytime, anywhere to authorised users through role-based permissions you own and manage
- Create opportunity for automation and collaboration of document-centric processes
- Gain operational insights and drive efficiency by connecting data across business silos
- Reduce your physical footprint and related real estate expenditures
- Consolidate vendors by utilising an end-to-end solution
- Ensure compliance with regulatory guidelines
WHAT IS A DIGITAL MAILROOM?
A digital mailroom is a system that automates the processing of physical mail and email. Physical mails are scanned and made available electronically, then undergo a similar process as emails, where they are sorted and auto-routed to the intended recipient(s), then stored in a secure repository that can be accessed remotely by authorised personnels. Digital mailroom solutions include features such as audit trails for tracking mail movement, secure access to digital mail, and the ability to automate document-centric processes.
By outsourcing to digital mailroom services, organisations can centralise their mailroom management processes, cut the time and manpower required for mail processing, and free up physical space for higher-value activities. Being able to access documents remotely and track mail in real-time also improves accountability and visibility, helping organisations provide timely and efficient mail delivery to recipients and stay compliant with data protection regulations.
Iron Mountain Digital Mailroom is a comprehensive mailroom management solution that supports organisations from document scanning and automated mail classification and routing, to secure digital and physical storage and/or destruction.
HOW DOES A DIGITAL MAILROOM WORK?
Iron Mountain Digital Mailroom solution is as easy to set up as it is to use.
- After you instruct the postal service to redirect your mail, Iron Mountain will pick up the mail and transport it to our secure scanning facilities. When outsourcing your mailroom, your physical mail never leaves Iron Mountain’s chain of custody.
- Iron Mountain experts scan and automatically capture keywords for your mail so the digitised copies can be auto-routed to the intended recipient. You have the option to request additional keywords relevant to your organisation to be captured.
- You control who the final recipient is through exception processing.
- Your electronic information will be encrypted at rest and during transmission across a secure network.
- You can search and access digitised mail in our secure information management and content services platform, Iron Mountain Insight®
- Role-based permissions that you own and manage ensure only authorised users can view and share mail.
- Iron Mountain can help you dispose of your physical mail by storing, securely shredding, or returning it to you.
Security and Compliance
We take security seriously, that’s why 95% of the Fortune 1,000 companies trust Iron Mountain with their critical and sensitive records. We have been securing sensitive data for 70+ years and provide services across a wide range of industries in over 60 countries. You can rest easy knowing that your information is safe in our end-to-end digital mailroom management solution - from picking up your rerouted paper mail in our secure trucks for digitisation at our scanning centres to auto-routing your mail to the intended recipient and disposing of your paper mail in the manner you request (securely storing, shredding, or returning mail to you).
Your digital documents are stored in Iron Mountain InSight®, an information management and content services platform that leverages the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Cyber Security Framework (CSF) as our enterprise security framework. Iron Mountain InSight® complies with industry standards including but not limited to:
- Soc 2 Type II
- And ISO27001
customer success stories
Learn how Iron Mountain’s Digital Mailroom solution has supported organisations of different sizes across various industries over the years.
MAILROOM MODERNIZATION: EVOLVE WITH YOUR ORGANISATION’S NEEDS
For businesses, paper-based correspondence has always been predominant and reliable. Like clockwork, mail comes in and mail goes out. But all that incoming documentation needs timely and efficient distribution, acknowledgement, and action.
Click on the boxes below to learn more about the three types of mailrooms and how you can modernise yours.
The traditional mailroom is the entry point for large volumes of inbound physical mail that requires back-office operations to sort and distribute. This can result in:
- Delayed employee productivity to sort and deliver mail to the right person across departments
- Poor customer experience
- Potential compliance and regulatory ramifications
- Loss of sensitive information
- Greater challenges supporting a remote workforce
Digital mailrooms with smart routing backed by content services platform (CSP) which includes:
- Scanning and digitisation of physical mail for web and mobile access
- Content management
- Search and retrieve functionality
- Optical character recognition (OCR) capabilities
- Extraction of metadata for efficient search
- Validation and review
- User access rules and routing
- Audit tracking for improved compliance
Intelligent mailrooms offer all the benefits of a digital mailroom through intelligent document processing (IDP), which includes:
- Information governance
- Intelligent metadata extraction and enrichment
- Classification with AI/ML
- Workflow automation
- Federated multi-repository
Frequently Asked Questions About Iron Mountain Digital Mailroom
Iron Mountain’s Implementation team meets with your organisation to learn how your organisation wishes to handle mail: by department, floor, individual, etc.
Iron Mountain then sets up your users, user groups and data security rules to ensure that the proper people have access to the mail. Many organisations also have an administrator who can update this hierarchy if, for example, you are out of office, and need your mail temporarily rerouted.