Iron Mountain Smart Sort
Iron Mountain Smart Sort
Unmingle the Commingled
Commingled files and disorganised records aren’t just a nuisance. They’re a liability that can inflate storage costs, increase discovery and litigation risks, and stymie the flow of critical information.
But what if you could efficiently unmingle your commingled files and know what to retain, defensibly destroy, digitise, or provide for a divestiture, legal matter, or other business need? And what if you could do it all without a complex, labor-intensive discovery project?
With Iron Mountain Smart Sort, you can. Smart Sort is a simple and budget-friendly solution to help you finally gain control of your records inventory.
How Iron Mountain Smart Sort Works
Commingled files and event date complexity prevent you from making defensible decisions about your records inventory.
Make decisions about which files to retain, destroy, or digitise.
Smart Sort Process
- Pull all files from carton.
- Scan/enter file ID and receive instant sort result.
- Sort and rebox files by like destruction dates, record type, a unique identifier - or whatever you require.
At the conclusion of your Smart Sort project, you'll have full visibility into your up-to-date file-level inventory so that you can find what you need quickly and enable an ongoing defensible disposition process.
Benefits of Iron Mountain Smart Sort✓ Find records quickly and accurately
✓ Make defensible decisions about what records to keep, destroy, or digitise
✓ Reduce the cost and risk of records storage
✓ Support office reconfigurations and closures
✓ Accelerate digital transformation
✓ Navigate mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures quickly
Learn How Smart Sort Can Help Your Business
Hospital Reduces Records Storage Costs And Improves Visibility And Compliance With Iron Mountain Smart Sort
Learn how a major US medical center freed up space for patient care by relocating their paper records offsite. They leveraged Iron Mountain Smart Sort to sort, reorganise, and cull their files prior to the move. This resulted in enhanced visibility across their inventory and savings of over $1 million in storage costs.
Healthcare Provider Uses Smart Sort To Reduce The Cost/Risk Of Records Storage
Learn how a large private healthcare provider used Iron Mountain’s Smart Sort solution to sort and reorganise their entire records inventory, establishing a process for defensible destruction of all current and future records. The result was increased compliance, improved inventory accuracy, reduced risk, and a decrease in storage costs of 40–50%.
Iron Mountain Smart Sort Clears The Way For A Corporate Divestiture
Learn how a large insurance company involved in a major divestiture relied on Iron Mountain Smart Sort to quickly determine what business records to keep and what to turn over to buyers. Using Smart Sort, the project was completed in less time and at lower cost than would have been possible using in-house resources.
Frequently Asked Questions
We can execute a Smart Sort project at your facility or ours.
We will consolidate the inventory at an Iron Mountain facility and then conduct the Smart Sort project. At the completion of the project, we store only those records that are required to be retained. The Smart Sort process identifies files that have met retention requirements and can be defensibly destroyed. With a cleaned-up inventory, you can reduce your costs by paying to store only those files that need to be retained for compliance requirements.
We need information from your core business application (master patient index, policy or loan management system, case file management system, etc.) and an up-to-date records retention schedule.
Yes, each project is customised to your records retention policies and specific requirements.
- You will benefit most from a Smart Sort project with core business records that carry event date retention rules (loans, policies, claims, patient records, case files, HR records, etc.).
- Corporate/business records are not recommended (payroll records, invoices, etc.).
You select how you want to proceed, and the project will be customised to your requirements, objectives, and budget.
- The Smart Sort process leverages your retention schedule and rules to create a standardised methodology for file review and processing. This rules-based approach allows us to deliver a consistent and defensible output.
- At the end of the Smart Sort process, we will provide a report that gives you file-level visibility and the corresponding disposition for each file. This report enables you to defend the actions taken on each file.
- For more information, please read SMART SORT PROVIDES A PATH TO DEFENSIBLE DISPOSITION.