Intelligent document processing and workflow automation
Digital Mailroom solution
It’s time to address your mail
Of labor is spent on mail sorting
(Source: Mailing Systems Technology magasine)
Of organisations report issues with getting the right information to the right person
(Source: AIIM report, Implementing a Digital Workforce)
How does a digital mailroom work?
Iron Mountain Digital Mailroom solution is as easy to set up as it is to use.
- After you instruct the postal service to redirect your mail, Iron Mountain will pick up the mail and transport it to our secure scanning facilities. Your physical mail never leaves Iron Mountain’s chain of custody.
- Iron Mountain experts scan and automatically capture keywords for your mail so the digitized copies can be auto-routed to the intended recipient. You have the option to request additional keywords relevant to your organization to be captured.
- You control who the final recipient is through exception processing.
- Your electronic information will be encrypted at rest and during transmission across a secure network.
- You can search and access digitized mail in our secure information management and content services platform, Iron Mountain InSight®.
- Role-based permissions that you own and manage ensure only authorised users can view and share mail.
- Iron Mountain can help you with disposing of your physical mail by storing, securely shredding, or returning it to you.
Features and benefits
Digitise your mail
Securely access and store your information
Connect data across platforms
Manage the entire lifecycle of your mail
Unlock insights into your operational efficiency
Customer success stories
Claims processing made simple with digital mailroom
Digitizing the mortgage mailroom
Mailroom modernization: evolve with your organization’s needs
For businesses, paper-based correspondence has always been predominant and reliable. Like clockwork, mail comes in and mail goes out. But all that incoming documentation needs timely and efficient distribution, acknowledgement, and action.
The traditional mailroom is the entry point for large volumes of inbound physical mail that requires back-office operations to sort and distribute. This can result in:
- Delayed employee productivity to sort and deliver mail to the right person across departments
- Poor customer experience
- Potential compliance and regulatory ramifications
- Loss of sensitive information
- Greater challenges supporting a remote workforce
Digital mailrooms work through intelligent document processing (IDP), which includes:
- Scanning and digitisation of physical mail for web and mobile access
- Extraction of metadata for efficient search
- Validation and review
- Classification with AI/ML
- User access rules and routing
- Audit tracking for improved compliance
Intelligent mailrooms offer all the benefits of a digital mailroom through a content services platform (CSP), which includes:
- Content management
- Information governance
- Intelligent metadata extraction and enrichment
- Search and retrieve functionality
- Workflow automation
- Federated multi-repository
- Optical character recognition (OCR) capabilities
Related resourcesView More Resources
Streamline your mail with intelligent Digital Mailroom
Intelligent digital mailrooms make a difference
Digital Mailroom plays a prominent role in these industries:
Frequently asked questions
We’ve got your back with answers to some of our frequently asked Digital Mailroom questions.
How does Iron Mountain make sure that mail is routed to the correct recipients?
Each user is assigned to a user group, and user groups combine with data security rules to ensure that mail is properly routed to the correct people. Iron Mountain’s Implementation team ensures that the proper roles and security are in place for your organisation to maintain data security and privacy.
Who can access my mail?
Iron Mountain’s implementation team meets with your organisation to learn how you wish to handle mail: by department, floor, individual, etc.
Iron Mountain then sets up your users, user groups, and data security rules to ensure that the proper people have access to the mail. Many organisations also have an administrator who can update this hierarchy if, for example, you are out of office and need your mail temporarily rerouted.
What happens to our mail after it’s digitised?
You’re able to select from several disposition options for your physical mail:
- Your physical mail is returned to you
- Your physical mail is stored in an Iron Mountain Record Center
- Your physical mail is shredded